Historic buildings and areas specialist.
I am a Town Planner with specialist qualifications in the conservation of historic buildings and areas and 35 years experience as a planner and conservation officer in local government, in Edinburgh and Hull. Since I left local government in 2008, I have been a self-employed conservation adviser on projects including:
- Advising on Townscape Heritage grant schemes in inner city Hull, finding suitable repair firms and assessing work on site for compliance with conservation conditions;
- drawing up a Method Statement for repair work to Georgian Norwood House [Grade 1] in Beverley;
- up dating a Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Beverley Road Conservation Area in Hull;
- producing the Heritage Statements for community wind turbine applications in the Yorkshire Wolds;
- advising on extensions and alterations to Listed buildings in several areas of the country to overcome potential conflicts with conservation requirements;
- giving talks and guided tours.
I’m involved as a volunteer with several local projects including preserving the remains of the National Picture Theatre, a World War 2 bombed cinema in Hull. I have also been an active member of my local Friends of the Earth group for many years and am particularly interested in reconciling the requirements of renewable energy and heritage conservation.